10 things I wish I knew before having a baby

Before having my first baby, I had many preconceived notions of what life would be like with a baby and my responsibilities as a new mother. Despite speaking to friends and relatives with children, and doing my thorough research to prepare, there has been countless times and surprises where I was caught off guard - both the good and the challenging times.

1. I should have gone on a babymoon for that 'just us' time with my husband. We were saving and saving for our baby that we missed out on romantic times together. Your life is going to change so much after the baby that you will sometimes miss the simplicity of just being with your husband.

2. Labour pains continue for weeks and even months after giving birth.

3. You will feel that the exhaustion is never-ending, and start doing things like putting the car keys in the fridge.

4. You will find it hard to finish your meal in one seating, from start to finish.

5. You are always talking about your baby, even when your baby is not around.

6. You will need more help and support than you had anticipated. Which for me meant having my mom live with me to help out.

7. Breastfeeding is hard and is not as easy as many moms make it look. It took me a while to get used to breastfeeding and the long hours it calls for. But with practice, I was able to make it a joyful experience - for both me and my baby.

8. You will experience a kind of love that you never knew before, and continue to appreciate your mom even more as the day goes by.

9. Bladder leakage is a common problem after giving birth. Studies have shown that 1 out of 4 women experience stress urinary incontinence which isn't cool at all.

10. You will be humming and singing to nursery rhymes even when your baby is not around.

Photo by @theeverymom via Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts