When will I feel my baby move?

You might only start feeling your baby move in your 17th week, and if this is your first pregnancy, you will probably only feel it in your 20th-21st week. But you will have to note that every baby is different and some are more active than others.

When I was pregnant (first pregnancy) I only started feeling my baby move on my 20th month. Tiny little movements, which showed to be different in the ultrasound at the doctors. On my visit to the doctors at 19 weeks, I could see my baby's feet kicking (very actively as though in joy) but I was barely able to feel it. Sometimes I would even confuse or wonder if the little feels that I feel in my tummy was my baby moving or just my tummy grumbling in hunger.

As your pregnancy progresses, you will feel that the movements become more distinct and frequent. You will also feel your baby's jabs and elbows later in the months.


How often should I feel my baby move?


Around 20-24 weeks you will feel your baby move more often, and at certain times of the day move even more. Sometimes when you're asleep your baby might be awake and moving, and when you're awake, your baby might not move as much.

Towards the end of your pregnancy, you will feel more than 20 movements in an hour. A healthy baby will keep moving when you are in labour.

What should I do if my baby stops moving?


If you feel that your baby's movements have decreased or have stopped entirely after 28 weeks, it is best to contact your doctor or midwife immediately. It could be a sign that there is a problem.

If you are worried, you could also try lying down on your side for two hours and focus on your baby's movements, if there are no movements for two hours, contact your doctor or midwife right away.

Comments

Popular Posts